Global Disability Watch (GDW) depends on global input and values the contributions of our volunteer correspondents as well as interns. Internships with GDW offer an invaluable opportunity to:
- engage with immediate disability events and policies as they unfold
- network with other correspondents, researchers and international stakeholders
- develop ideas for research and research contacts
- render your own research and practice work visible to a global audience
- be part of a global team working to advocate for the rights of persons with disabilities and shift rights violations.
Internships are generally unpaid and work is conducted online in the country of residence, research or employment (not in the GDW office).
We are regularly in need of interns who can perform some or most of these tasks:
- desk research
- monitoring of disability policies, rights and practice developments in a range of continents and countries;
- liasing with GDW correspondents;
- tracking and communicating with other organisations and key sources
- locating and informing on disability ground news
- collation of data
- assistance with analysis, writing and reporting
- engaging in advocacy efforts
- writing and video editing
- promotion of GDW work online and offline
- translation of GDW content (Spanish, French, Chinese, Portuguese)
We look for a range of interns who are:
- Committed to disability and combating rights violations
- Inquisitive and have a strong desire to learn
- Willing to collaborate
- Have good communication and networking skills
- Have a good command of English (and ideally other languages e.g. Spanish and/or French)
- Have intermediate to advanced writing and/or video editing skills (not necessary)
- Timely communicators and can work consistently
GDW is a people first organisation and encourages and prioritizes applicants with a disability. We also welcome applications from practitioners and activists working in the field, especially in low and middle income countries.
If you are interested in joining GDW as an intern, please send us an email at: gdwatch1[at]gmail.com with an expression of interest letter and your CV. We endeavour to process applications and communicate in the shortest time possible (3 to 4 weeks).